For best results, choose a tart apple like Granny Smith. You can use nonfat or full-fat yogurt with equally good results. These freeze well.
Spiced Apple Yogurt Muffins
Yield: 12 to 14 muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 large baking apple, peeled, cored, and diced small
- 11/4 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine flours, oats, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a large mixing; whisk to combine.
- Add diced apple, yogurt, eggs, oil, and vanilla; stir just till dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray. Fill muffin cups three-quarters full. Bake at 400 degrees F for 18 to 20 minutes, or until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan 10 minutes, then depan onto rack. Enjoy warm, or cool completely before storing.