Jarlsberg cheese has always been one of my favorites. As far back as I can remember, those sweet, nutty, yellow-waxed wedges have appeared on cheese plates throughout holiday history in my family.
I was delighted when I received cheese samples from the lovely folks at Jarlsberg to incorporate into my holiday recipes. I am so excited to share some of my creations with you...starting with this delectable appetizer. I hope you enjoy it!
Ham and Cheese Stromboli Slices
Delicious, distinctive Jarlsberg cheese melts beautifully; here it's paired with savory Black Forest ham and a flavorful Dijon dipping sauce. This easy-to-make appetizer will be a hit.
Yield: 8 to 10 slices
- 10 ounces pizza dough (homemade or storebought)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Thinly sliced Black Forest ham, about 4 ounces
- Jarlsberg sandwich slices, about 6 ounces
- 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon cold water
- Sesame seeds to garnish
- Cornmeal for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped capers
- On a floured surface, roll pizza dough out to a 10 x 14-inch rectangle.
- Stir together mayonnaise and Dijon mustard and brush over dough, leaving a half-inch margin around the edges.
- Layer Black Forest ham slices over dough; follow with Jarlsberg cheese slices.
- Roll up dough, jelly-roll-style, starting at a short end. Brush edge with egg wash and pinch to seal seam but do not seal the ends.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place stromboli in center of baking sheet on top of the cornmeal. Brush top of stromboli with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Let stromboli stand at room temp while you preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. When oven is hot, bake stromboli at 400 degrees F for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before transferring to a cutting board. Slice into 1-inch pieces with a serrated knife. Serve with Dijon Dipping Sauce, if desired.
- To make dipping sauce: Stir mayonnaise, mustard, and chopped capers together in a small bowl. Chill until ready to serve.