I dry my apples in a dehydrator, but if you don't have access to one and want to dry your own apple slices, try my oven-drying method.
Apple Cinnamon Granola with Roasted Almonds and PepitasYield: about 6 cups
- 3 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup dehydrated apple slices, chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, nuts, pepitas, brown sugar, honey, coconut oil, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Toss to coat all ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Grease a large rimmed baking sheet with the tablespoon of butter. Pour oat mixture out onto baking sheet and use a spatula to smooth it down, covering the entire sheet. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 250 degrees F, stirring the oat mixture every 15 minutes. The mixture will turn golden brown and dry out as it bakes. It will firm up as it cools.
- Leave on baking sheet until completely cool, then sprinkle with dried apple pieces. Pour cooled granola into a large container with a tightly fitting lid. Will keep for at least a week at room temperature.