Looking for an elegant side dish for your Valentine's Day table? This jewel-toned salad brightens a classic winter pairing ~ citrus and beets ~ with a sunny ginger dressing. Light and simple to prepare, you can serve this either family-style, in a bowl, or plated for a special dinner a deux.
Citrus Beet Salad
- 1 cup sliced beets
- 1 large orange, supremed
- 1 sweet pink grapefruit, supremed
- Ginger-Honey dressing (recipe follows)
- Toasted chopped walnuts, to garnish
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom or clover honey
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Makes about 4 servings.
- I preferred to use fresh, supremed orange and grapefruit segments for this salad, but feel free to choose canned mandarin orange and grapefruit segments.
- You can use either cooked fresh beets or canned beets ~ the result will be delicious either way.