Monday, May 31, 2010
Here's another of those terrific meals you should have in your arsenal for when you're pressed for time and dinner has to be on the table in a heartbeat. If you have cooked chicken breast already in the fridge or freezer, this will come together lightning-fast. If you have a picky eater, just leave out whatever toppings he or she doesn't care for ~ these are easy to customize.
Please, save yourself some money (and eat much better) by roasting a few chickens on a slow night instead of buying frozen precooked chicken breast. Just take the roasted chicken breast off the bone, let it cool completely, cube it, and pack it into freezer-ready resealable storage bags in one- or two-cup portion sizes.Thaw in the fridge overnight or in the microwave, and you're all set.
Serve this with a green salad or veggies and dip for a balanced meal.
Three-Cheese Chicken Quesadillas
• 4 ounces cream cheese (low-fat or Neufchatel cheese work great)
• 8 soft-taco-size flour tortillas
• ½ cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
• 2 cups cubed cooked chicken meat
• ¼ cup sliced green onions
• ¼ cup sliced black olives
• 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
• Sour cream and salsa to serve, optional
1. Spread one-fourth of the cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese on each of four tortillas. Top with 2 tablespoons shredded Pepper Jack, ½ cup cubed chicken, 1 tablespoon green onions, 1 tablespoon black olives, and ¼ cup shredded Cheddar. Finish by topping with the remaining four tortillas.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat ~ there is no need to grease the pan. Carefully transfer one of the tortilla stacks to the skillet. Heat until the cheese begins to melt and the bottom begins to brown in spots. Using a large flat spatula, turn the quesadilla over and heat on the other side, approximately 3 to 5 total. Remove to baking sheet and keep warm in a 200 degree F oven while you cook the remaining three quesadillas.
3. Cut each quesadilla into 6 wedges and serve with sour cream and salsa, if desired.